Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day - Poverty Edition

Though most of us have probably gone to bed by now, I and my fellow Canadians spent some of the evening of October 14th (and in my case, the first hours of October 15ht) watching the latest federal election results come in.

As much as it can be hard to keep the bigger picture in mind on nights like tonight, it's important to remember that we elect politicians to take care of some pretty important 'big picture' decisions.

One of those big pictures, in my mind at least, is poverty alleviation (both at home and around the world).

Today is Blog Action Day. It's a chance for bloggers from around the world to spend some time discussing/pontificating/posting pretty pictures on a single issue: poverty.

Though even defining poverty can be a pretty complex task and the causes are equally complex, I think we can agree that it's an important issue to tackle as we go forward (particularly as the current troubles on the world financial scene continue to put pressure on everyone). I encourage you to surf the other Blog Action Day contributors for discussions on definitions. I want to tangent a bit and briefly raise a different part of the picture.

Over the course of the next year, I/the organization I work for has the potential to be directly affected 3 elections (not counting the American election, which arguably affects us all with varying degrees of directness). Canada, Ghana and Malawi will all be dealing with the consequences of national elections in the coming months. I wonder, will these governments be expected to renew commitments to prosperity for their citizens or even for the global community?

Hard times are ahead, and I think it's incumbent upon us all to make sure that it's not just a small minority of concerned citizens "getting involved" to do whatever it is we're going to do to face tough, 'big picture' questions like how to tackle global (and domestic) poverty, but also that our elected representatives continue to be expected to make just decisions even in the face of such challenges.

As Demosthenes, an old Greek favorite of mine, once said:
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.


Making democratic contributions often feels like a hopelessly small opportunity - be it through voting, writing a letter to your elected representatives, getting involved in your community league, volunteering with a citizen's action group of some kind or even just discussing your thoughts in public - it can eventually make a difference. That's what the system is for - it's our job to undertake the great enterprise of making it work for us.


No comments:

DISCLAIMER

The point of this blog is to share my experiences and perspectives on my experiences as an OVS, the politics of my world, the wonders and tragedies of my communities, and anything else that finds its way into my average little head. Keyword: "my."

The opinions expressed on this blog represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with.

In addition, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time. I consider this a necessary consequence of having an open mind and a natural result of the experiences that this blog chronicles.
Furthermore, I enjoy reading other peoples' blogs, and commenting on them from time to time. If you run across such comments, the opinions expressed therein also represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with, nor should you expect the views in those comments to remain static for all time. Feel free to draw your own conclusions about my formal political leanings and affiliations from the slant of those blogs, with the understanding that those conclusions are probably wrong.

(props to daveberta for inspiration on the wording)