Wednesday, August 19, 2009

There and Back Again - Hiatus Over

Last time you tuned into this blog, I was in Malawi. More specifically, I was leaving Malawi.

Times have changed, and I've been busy since.
I'm back in Edmonton now, working a steady job and getting up to speed on a surprisingly large number of side projects, including The First Drop. As you can tell by its addition to my side-bar, I'm pretty excited about where this project is going, and consequently am putting my proverbial back into it.

I'm also trying to devote time to Better Edmonton, which you can follow on Twitter or find on Facebook.

There are other projects, but they're not quite ready to be aired on a blog.

Which brings me to the question that anyone actually reading this now might be asking themselves: why is this blog back?

Good question. In a surprise twist, here's an honest answer.

I have always found it helpful to write, and have always found that my writing style has only two gears: inappropriately informal and stuffy to the point of academic incomprehensibility.

As one of the voices @thefirstdrop (and on their blog), I feel like writing more will help me get better at sending words forth into the land of Web 2.0.

I also find it helpful to wax philosophical on occasion and I've found that periodic spurts of ranting and raving enhance my calm. Sometimes, there are real pearls in those rants, raves, and waxes that other people find interesting or at least entertaining. And I like the attention. ;)

Last, one of my open secrets (and, hopefully a 'secret' that many more people share with me), I think that lots of the things I care about are worth caring about and, if something is worth caring about, it's worth knowing about, talking about, writing about and even, sometimes, doing something about.

And I still find it helpful to write.

So this is a place for me to do all that. To write however I want about whatever I care about today, to improve my writing generally, to plug causes that I'm doing something about, to rant, to rave, to wax and to wane, and above all, to have my own little slice of fiefdom on the world wide web where I can release personal diatribes and witticisms that serve my purpose - whatever that purpose happens at that particular moment.

With any luck, my purposes will, on occasion, resonate with yours.

-A

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

The point of this blog is to share my experiences and perspectives on my experiences as an OVS, the politics of my world, the wonders and tragedies of my communities, and anything else that finds its way into my average little head. Keyword: "my."

The opinions expressed on this blog represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with.

In addition, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time. I consider this a necessary consequence of having an open mind and a natural result of the experiences that this blog chronicles.
Furthermore, I enjoy reading other peoples' blogs, and commenting on them from time to time. If you run across such comments, the opinions expressed therein also represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with, nor should you expect the views in those comments to remain static for all time. Feel free to draw your own conclusions about my formal political leanings and affiliations from the slant of those blogs, with the understanding that those conclusions are probably wrong.

(props to daveberta for inspiration on the wording)