Thursday, August 7, 2008

Not an Engineer. Not a Problem.

When I tell people that I'm going to be working on a development project for Engineers Without Borders Canada, I often get some version of this response:

"That's great!"
[pause, and a puzzled look]
"I didn't know you were an engineer..."

That's where the plot thickens: I'm not an engineer. My degree doesn't leave me with a professional designation (as one ill-fated ad campaign once said, I can "Be Anything" with a Bachelor of Arts. Har, har).

So what's an organization called "Engineers" Without Borders doing hiring a specialty-less Arts student-turned-adult like me?

EWB Canada (and for that matter, other EWBs) don't exclusively work on technical projects requiring the highly specialized skill sets of Western-educated engineers. Though all of their projects have technical components, the organization approaches those projects from a the starting point of working towards human development.

According to the United Nations, human development is...

about creating an environment in which people can develop their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accordance with their needs and interests. People are the real wealth of nations. ... It is thus about much more than economic growth, which is only a means—if a very important one—of enlarging people's choices.

(taken from "The Human Development Concept," UNDP edition)
Apparently, I strike the folks at EWB as someone who might be good at helping to create environments in which people can develop their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accordance with their needs and interests. That, in a very vague nutshell, is why I was offered this opportunity.

In a more specific way, there are a list of attitudes that EWB looks for in candidates for overseas placements available here. Those of you who know me already can probably judge for yourselves whether or not you think I might be creative, enthusiastic, or possessing "ruggedness." Those of you who don't will have to judge for yourselves over the coming months. In my application and interview process, I would say passion, empathy and adaptability were characteristics that were definitely stressed over and above technical proficiency.

One of the many things on my list of things to learn and do before I arrive at my placement is to deepen my understanding of what EWB Canada is aspiring to achieve with a people-first, project-driven approach to their overseas work as well as to achieve a deeper understanding of what participating in a human development project means to me (the good and the bad).

At the moment, however, we seem to still be in the "attitude is everything" phase. Actually getting a sense of "how to" is buried in the hundreds of pages of pre-departure resources that EWB has kindly sent along to keep the boredom at bay this summer.

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

The point of this blog is to share my experiences and perspectives on my experiences as an OVS, the politics of my world, the wonders and tragedies of my communities, and anything else that finds its way into my average little head. Keyword: "my."

The opinions expressed on this blog represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with.

In addition, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time. I consider this a necessary consequence of having an open mind and a natural result of the experiences that this blog chronicles.
Furthermore, I enjoy reading other peoples' blogs, and commenting on them from time to time. If you run across such comments, the opinions expressed therein also represent my own and not those of my employer or any organization I may be affiliated with, nor should you expect the views in those comments to remain static for all time. Feel free to draw your own conclusions about my formal political leanings and affiliations from the slant of those blogs, with the understanding that those conclusions are probably wrong.

(props to daveberta for inspiration on the wording)